Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PREVIEW COMMENTS: Pretec
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PREVIEW COMMENTS: Pretec
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cesco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PREVIEW COMMENTS: Pretec Reply with quote

Thanks works in progress....

By

Francesco

Francesco
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: PREVIEW COMMENTS: Pretec Reply with quote

obvious one here if your using ttn use the tomtom driver as the drop down list supports both pretec cf and cflp i havent installed the pretec driver and it works fine

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I would try emailing Pretec, as this sounds like there might be a compatibility problem with the driver/card and the 3970's. Do you know of anyone with a 3870. The only thing different about the 3870/3970 compared to the 3850/3950 is BlueTooth. You could try disabling this, perhaps this is having some sort of an issue ?
mohdafifi
Occasional Visitor

Dave, I've tried installing and reinstalling the GPS server application ..the same problem occurs.I have a friend who is using it with his 3970 also and he has the same problem.The card has no problem with 3950's and 3800's but it seems it only has problem with the 3970 series...anymore ideas to solve this problem???
Dave
Frequent Visitor

From what I've heard, there is a GPS server application that needs to be run to enable the GPS receiver. Have you tried this ?

Failing that, I would try a complete uninstall, unplug the GPS Receiver, soft reset the iPAQ and try a full install again and see if this helps.

We've got quite a few big reviews we're handling at the moment, we want to get our hands on an LP card after we've completed these so we can test it and see the problems that others aer experiencing
mohdafifi
Occasional Visitor

Hi ,

I just bought a pretec CF GPS LP to use with my Ipaq 3970.I installed the software as instructed by the manual but when I try to launch it , it says that "Driver istallation not complete.Please reset your pocketpc". I did the reset and tried again but the same thing happened.Eventhough after reinstalling the software the problem is still there.I was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this problem...help is really appreciated here.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

It does sound as though there might be a problem with the card. The only other option is to download the Winfast Navigator from our downloads page and try manually setting it to SiRF and see if this makes any difference. If it's already on SiRF, try setting it to NMEA. You shouldn't need to do this on a new product though, it should work straight out of the box, so my belief is it is probably faulty, or someone has already purchased it, messed around with it in SiRF and then sent it back.
Cesco
Occasional Visitor

Today I've test my card on the notebook, before I've set it correctly, the com port found is the 4, The card is installed correctly, no problem found, I've only correct the communication speed to 4800.

At this poin I've used the Autorute 2002 to test it, first selecting the port of the GPS, and after I try to track my position. The answer of the program is the following:

THE GPS RECEIVER IS SENDIG MESSAGES,BUT THEY ARE NOT BEING RECOGNAIZED AS NMEA2.0-COMPATIBLE. MAKE SURE THE GPS RECEIVER INPUT/OUTPUT FORMAT IS SET TO DELIVER NMEA2.0-COMPATIBLE MESSAGES AT THE CORRECT BAUD (4800).

Now I've reason to belive that this card is broken, I can't set the output format of the signal... ???

The card support NMEA-0183 v2.2 and SiRF protocols, so the problem is in the card...

The diagnosis is correct ?

By

Cesco

Francesco
Cesco
Occasional Visitor

I can confirm that mine is not a LP card, and today I've clean from zero my Cassiopeia, and with only the GPSdemo installed try to fix the position.

Stand like a stone in the deser, I've try to start it again, I've insert the board (external antenna connected), and the light do not flash just for this, the light start only when I've activated on the correct port the GPSdemo, and it remain fix for about 5 seconds, after the message is the usual (I can't find GPS module...).

If I restart it, the story is the same, only sometime rarely (after 5,6 times) the time for the negative answer is longer and you can see the light flash for some other second before to die with the usual message.

Tomorrow I will receive the adapter for the notebook, and I'll try to use it to understand something more...

Mine do not flash when inserted, I can hope at this point that is the card, I've not seen other person with this problem, I belive more in a problem on the GPS, all the rest works like a jevel...

I'll be back when tested with the notebook. I must resolve the problem... my neighborhood is begin to think that I'm a strange man...

By

Francesco

Francesco
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've just checked back on my notes, and confirmed with a colleague who has a Pretec and the non LP version, which we reviewed will flash once when inserted, and then flash intermittently whilst a 2D lock is acquired, and then once a 3D full lock has been acquired it will stay constant. At least that's what happened on my review copy.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 07 October 2002

Francesco, is the green light on the side of the Pretec flashing or on constantly ? If it's flashing, then there's a problem. If a successful connection has been made, then it will show a green constant light.

I would try the card in a laptop and see if you get a constant green light. If you still don't then I would say you have a faulty card. If you do get a constant green light, then there may be some com port conflicts on your Pocket PC. If you have things like a Stowaway keyboard, or other external items that plug into your Pocket PC then make sure the drivers are disabled, as these could also be causing conflicts.

Hey Dave are you sure?

Pretec clearly states EXACTLY the opposite (at least for the non-LT GPS). Flashing = data ok and locked, constant on = connection open but still trying to lock or sync.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Please post any comments or added features you would like to see about the Pretec Compact Flash GPS Card Receiver preview in this message
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Francesco, is the green light on the side of the Pretec flashing or on constantly ? If it's flashing, then there's a problem. If a successful connection has been made, then it will show a green constant light.

I would try the card in a laptop and see if you get a constant green light. If you still don't then I would say you have a faulty card. If you do get a constant green light, then there may be some com port conflicts on your Pocket PC. If you have things like a Stowaway keyboard, or other external items that plug into your Pocket PC then make sure the drivers are disabled, as these could also be causing conflicts.
Cesco
Occasional Visitor

The description is very well done (but let me explain the trouble), today I've had the first day of good weather, and I've try againt to fix the setup... nothing to do, nothing change also with the antenna connected.

Just some question easy perhaps... but I'm not sure to follow the procedure correctly

1) When I start the pocket pc I reset it after the insertion of the card.

2) I restart and open the program, and for the first time, the program say "Could not opend GPS module", the light flash (the hw seems works correctly on IRQ5 and on the others ports the system is dead).

No we must to be patient and wait but in witch way ?

1) Again restart the program and go on to click to "open" to make flash the light of the GPS for more time possible to try to communicate for more time possibile with the satellites... Tap Tap Tap without leaving the Pocket pc shut down...

2) Or leave opened the program but do not do nothing (but in this way how the system can try to continue to scan the sky if the light on the GPS is out ?)And I make only a new trial waiting at least 15 minutes...

I've already done the procedure in the two way without success, I'm thinkig to have received a GPS card broken, because i I use other cards on my Cassiopeia, they works perfectly.... the only thing that do not work is this card. I've never reached the step in Fig. 2

Now I think to try the card with an adapter on my notebook, just to discover if is the Cassiopeia or the Card...

Is almost a "TELENOVELAS", but one day... some day I hope to write "End"

Francesco
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Francesco, I've created a Pretec How To Article, let me know if you are getting any errors when following this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: