Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS keeps jumping off position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS keeps jumping off position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donster22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: GPS keeps jumping off position Reply with quote

hi

i have a holux gr230 BT connecting to an Ipaq 4150

on successive weekends i have now noticed the same phenomenon.
all of a sudden the position changes and stays changed.

last weekend it jumped about 250 feet. today it jumped c 125 feet southwest.

last week, the first co-ords were correct. this week the second co-ords were correct.

i use it for geocaching and placing a cache with this amount of error is unacceptable.

please can anyone explain why this might be happening? would changing the baud rate affect the accuracy.

i installed gps tuner after last week's problems and this morning it gave me a very accurate reading but the position was wrong. it said the same as memory map so i presume this is a hardware problem. should i swap to sirf? but then no satellites seem to show up on Memory Map although it gets a lock and sirf doesn't work with gps tuner.

any thoughts, ideas, changes etc would be gratefully received because i have gone from having 100% confidence in this device to having virtually none.

thanks
donster22 Sad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS keeps jumping off position Reply with quote

donster22 wrote:
on successive weekends i have now noticed the same phenomenon. all of a sudden the position changes and stays changed.

Did you have a good fix at the time? Do you know how many sats you had locked and if they were in a good constellation ?

It is possible that it didn't have a lock on all the available sats or had a 2d fix using 3 sats and switched to 3d using 4 sats where it had a more accurate fix.

It is also possible that the constellation of the sats wasn't very good. For example, if you have a lock on 4 sats that are all fairly much directly overhead then you won't get as accurate a fix as you would with one sat on the horizon in the north, south, east and west.

I am not familiar with the software you are using, but here's a couple of general tips for getting an accurate fix:

1. Always make sure your receiver has a good view of the sky in all directions.

2. Check the Dilution of Precision (DOP) to determine how reliable the fix is.

3. Switch on DGPS mode. This will allow you to get a more accurate fix when you can pick up the EGNOS sats.

4. Find a program which will "average" your location over the course of a minute or two. If you watch the output of the GPS you will see that it jumps around by 25 feet over a period of time, even though you are not moving. Averaging allows you to take the mean of this position for a better estimation of your location.

5. Don't worry too much about getting the fix 100% accurate - within 20 feet is not bad. You will find that if you go back to the same spot 12 hours later then the waypoint you marked may have moved 10 feet too.

Good luck!
donster22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

thanks for your reply.

i had a good fix at the time c6 satellites. the gps tuner software averages different readings and was giving me its averaged accuracy at sub 1 metre (it's a good bit of software).

what is DGPS by the way - how do i switch that on?

it's quite bizarre. the accuracy readings i get are very tight but it just jumps 100 feet out of the way and then gives me a very accurate reading in the "wrong" position although it says it's the right one"!! ????how????

is my GPS bust? will a cold start via winfast navigator remove all stored data and reset the thing? an error of this sort in tomtom is no big deal but as mentioned, it's a problem if my cache locations are 30m out.

cheers
for any further help from anyone.

donster22 Confused
ckuethe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGPS is Differential GPS. It's a technique for compensating for systemic errors by putting a receiver at a known, surveyed location, and then broadcasting deviations in the navigation solution. It's a Local Area Augmentation System, and likely to be found around airports and harbours.

The SiRFstarII chipset supports a number of dgps methods, including SBAS (Satellite Based Augmentation System). Of the SBAS systems you're likely to encounter there is WAAS (US), EGNOS (EU) and MSAT (JP). Rather than using a single location to broadcast corrections from, they use a network of sensors across their coverage area.

Depending on your exact firmware revision, you may have SBAS enabled already. If your GPGGA message has a 2 in the 6th field, you have a DGPS fix. Nonetheless, you can use SiRFdemo, GPSinfo or my toolkit to send the appropriate message to put the receiver into SBAS mode.

Some of the systemic errors you will likely encounter are delays due to humidity ionospheric and tropospheric conditions, clock error, satellite orbit measurement error, radio noise on the L1 band, multipath errors, poor satellite geometry... What sort of DOP (dilution of precision) figures were you getting? The GPGGP and GPGSA messages can tell you this. If your DOP figures are all very high, then it's quite possible to get a fix and have it be way out.

As for sub-metre accuracy: "garbage in, garbage out". GPS tuner could very well be calculating until it runs out of numbers, and handing you back some insignificant digits. I assume you mean this program: http://www.gpstuner.com/
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donster22

I went on a geocache with friends this weekend, they had a Mitac Mio 168 PDA and Old Garmin GPS.

The Garmin was spot on with it`s co-ordinates, but the Mio would sometimes vary from being within 5 ft to 50ft away !!

We gave up using the Mio, even though that is why they had bought it. They had memory map installed to get nearby, then we had to switch to using the GPS to find the cache.

We also tried using GPS Tuner, but had limited success, it said it had an accurate fix, but was nowhere near to the GPS reading.

We had excellent coverage, clear sky and multiple satellites.

When using the PDA for road navigation it is wonderful, but just doesnt seem accurate enough for geocaching, which is suprising and confusing..

Not sure what else to try, we are going on another cache this weekend.

I was going to replace my old Garmin with a PDA, the routing to actually drive there is great, but I`ve lost faith in the accuracy of its GPS.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nigelp,

nigelp wrote:
I went on a geocache with friends this weekend, they had a Mitac Mio 168 PDA and Old Garmin GPS. The Garmin was spot on with it`s co-ordinates, but the Mio would sometimes vary from being within 5 ft to 50ft away !!

Which country were you Geocaching in?
What coordinate system (Position Format) were you using?
What Map Datum did you have the Garmin set to?

In England, I have my handheld Garmin 12XL set to the “ORD SRVG GB” Map Datum and I also use the “British Grid” Position Format, when I’m using the paper Ordnance Survey maps. This will give accurate results. If you use Memory-Map, then I think the map data uses the WGS84 Map Datum. I don’t think that you can change the Map Datum setting in Memory-Map. A wrong Map Datum can give you an error in you location.

nigelp wrote:
When using the PDA for road navigation it is wonderful, but just doesnt seem accurate enough for geocaching, which is suprising and confusing..

Don’t forget that road SatNav packages use “snap to road” feature so that you nearly always appear to be on the correct side of the road.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I`m not too sure if I can answer all your questions, I dont know the technicalities

Geocaching in west yorkshire UK

Its an old Garmin 45, all standard settings, I just add the coordinates from the cache as a waypoint and navigate to there.

The PDA has memory map latest UK version installed, when using the map, it shows the correct footpath etc and looks to be pretty accurate, the problem is when trying to find the cache, we switched to gpstuner to show the exact co-ordinates and that when we founf it was out compared to the gps.

from memory gps said xx . xx . 525 (cant remember the xx `s !!)

PDA said xx . xx . 529

gps was yy.yy.141
pda was yy.yy.148

it was that far out !

those numbers are not exact, but the 3rd decimal place being out by around 6 is what we experienced.

sorry i cant post more detailed info. I dont have the pda, was jsut caching with friends.

Nige.
Leif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Mitac Mio 168 I am fairly sure about what the problem is. Units produced from about 2004.06 are delivered with GPS firmware version 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.0 0000003729. The good thing about this version compared to the previous is the much improved sensitivity. The bad thing is that for some reason it has the "static navigation" setting enabled by default.

I found some static navigation info in SiRF's own faq.

http://www.sirf.com/techlibrary/FAQs/FAQs.html

SiRFStarII Software

93. Explain the static navigation parameters.

Since SA was turned off, we now disable static navigation as our default, and we recommend that you do also. When it is enabled, if velocity is below 1.2 m/s for 3 seconds we will freeze the position, and leave them frozen until velocity exceeds 1.4 m/s (so there is a bit of hysteresis in the solution).

123. What criteria are used to enable and disable the static navigation filter?

Static navigation is a mode designed for motor vehicles, which causes the position to become pinned at one location when velocity is determined to be low enough. This is designed to make navigation systems operate more reasonably when the GPS Selective Availability (SA) signal degradation is turned on. When the navigation software determines that the vehicle velocity is less than 1.2 m/s for 3 seconds, the position is pinned to its current position. It remains pinned until either velocity is detected above 1.4 m/s, or position is computed to be 200 m from the pinned location.

Fortunatly there is a PocketPC program that can be used for turning off static navigation.

SP GPS VIEW
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12

I have used it succesfully on my Yakumo delta 300 GPS (rebadged Mio 168).

Maybe the Holux has the same problem. Use SiRFDemo on PC to check and turn off if needed.
burkelchen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leif wrote:
For the Mitac Mio 168 I am fairly sure about what the problem is. Units produced from about 2004.06 are delivered with GPS firmware version 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.0 0000003729. The good thing about this version compared to the previous is the much improved sensitivity. The bad thing is that for some reason it has the "static navigation" setting enabled by default.

I found some static navigation info in SiRF's own faq.

http://www.sirf.com/techlibrary/FAQs/FAQs.html

SiRFStarII Software

93. Explain the static navigation parameters.

Since SA was turned off, we now disable static navigation as our default, and we recommend that you do also. When it is enabled, if velocity is below 1.2 m/s for 3 seconds we will freeze the position, and leave them frozen until velocity exceeds 1.4 m/s (so there is a bit of hysteresis in the solution).

123. What criteria are used to enable and disable the static navigation filter?

Static navigation is a mode designed for motor vehicles, which causes the position to become pinned at one location when velocity is determined to be low enough. This is designed to make navigation systems operate more reasonably when the GPS Selective Availability (SA) signal degradation is turned on. When the navigation software determines that the vehicle velocity is less than 1.2 m/s for 3 seconds, the position is pinned to its current position. It remains pinned until either velocity is detected above 1.4 m/s, or position is computed to be 200 m from the pinned location.

Fortunatly there is a PocketPC program that can be used for turning off static navigation.

SP GPS VIEW
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12

I have used it succesfully on my Yakumo delta 300 GPS (rebadged Mio 168).

Maybe the Holux has the same problem. Use SiRFDemo on PC to check and turn off if needed.

My Mitac has Pocket Mobile 2003 SE; so SP GPS VIEW seems not to work:
It doesnt show the Menu at the top. Is there any version for the W2k3 SE operating system or any other suggestion for enabling/disabling static navigation.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: