Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 20% off TOMTOM Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

20% off TOMTOM Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: 20% off TOMTOM Maps Reply with quote

Tomtom are offering 20% off their maps until the end of the year.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/?Lid=1

I hope it helps someone, sorry if it has already been posted

Keef
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are a Navigator 5 user - it includes an update to version 6 :D
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TheBrit
Yes, and even more importantly one can get the maps without installing TT6. So it satisfies everyone, those who want TT6 and those who prefer TT5 (like me).
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was at Halfords this morning & was told that the UK regional tomtom one's were locked so that no additional maps could be purchased and loaded, but the european TT one could, however, if you select TT one regional from TT's website than additional maps are available for purchase, can anyone clarify if the TT one regional (ie uk/irl maps only) will accept additional maps as tomtom's website implies.

The guy was adamant about it as he said he had tried it and it wouldnt accept it. who is right?

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap at Halfords is talking rubbish as usual! No TomTom devices are locked in such a way. You do of course have to activate a new map but if it's a legal purchase with the activation codes then there is no problem doing that.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I suspected as much, its just that he was so adamant that the regional only (as opposed to the full europe) TT one (v2) was locked in some way.

I'll go & make my purchase now.

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, at least you knew were to ask, I wonder how many other sales are lost as a result of misinformed 'experts' like him!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi TheBrit
Yes, and even more importantly one can get the maps without installing TT6. So it satisfies everyone, those who want TT6 and those who prefer TT5 (like me).

Sorry - that is NOT what the TT site says.

I quote "Note that only new maps (version 6.6) can be used with NAVIGATOR 6. " from their web page

So, how are you running the new maps on TT5? [I'd love to do that]

Alan
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it says is "only new maps (version 6.6) can be used with Navigator 6", not "new maps can only be used with Navigator 6". Word order does have an effect on meaning, you know Wink
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
So, how are you running the new maps on TT5? [I'd love to do that]. Alan

When you visit the map purchase page here you have options...

Firstly, you can enter details of your existing map to confirm that there is a newer one for you to update to...

Next, you have to identify the device you wish to purchase a map for.

If it is a device which is compatible with Nav 6, the map you select to purchase will include Nav 6 software, free.

If your device is not compatible (you will need to select 'other' from the list of devices), you will be able to download a new map version 6 [the equivalent of the map which is available to Nav 6 users] for your Nav 5 software.

There is a third option. If your device is not listed (and therefore not supported), you could select a supported device which is similarly specified to your unsupported device. This is not advised, as if you should ever need it, it appears that TomTom support will refuse assistance when you identify to them that their software is running on an unsupported device. This Forum is full of discussion about this topic.

Incidentally, if you prefer Nav 5 to Nav 6 software, select 'other' as your device and you'll be able to download the Nav 5 map and avoid updating your software to Nav 6.

There isn't an upgrade path as such - you're buying new updated maps, not upgrading them. If you're on a supported device, you get Nav 6 for free as well as the map you're purchasing. Otherwise, you're just buying a new map. Until the end of the year (soon), there's a 20% discount on all map purchases, so long as you're downloading them - not buying them on DVD or SD Card. So I guess this is an upgrade as such!

I believe that Nav 5 maps can be downloaded to your computer desktop as you may have done previously. Nav 6 & maps must be downloaded through TomTom's Home software. In this case you need to ensure that Home on your computer is happily communicating with your TomTom device before you commit to purchasing by download.

All of this has been covered a million times here in this forum, so do be sure to read through other threads, where you'll discover problems, solutions and the opinions of many existing users who've been through this process.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh has not realised that there are two versions of the latest maps
1. For people with compatible devices, a free upgrade to TT6 and a set of maps which work with TT6
2. For people with devices which are not compatible, an updated set of maps which will work with their existing TT5
This is a very imaginative idea which TomTom have never employed before. Had I realised that they were going to do this, I would probably not have abandoned my iPAQ 2210 and bought a TomTom One v2 Europe. However, I am delighted with my purchase and find it more convenient than the previous setup
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alan_sh
Prior to me downloading the seamless maps of Western Europe for TT5 I fortunately read advice on this forum on how to proceed when wishing to download for TT5 and not TT6. If I hadn’t seen that advice I have no doubt that I would have made a cock-up and finished by installing TT6 too.

I did not use Tomtom Home and just followed the prompts on the main Tomtom Plus map page. The trick was to click on 'other' as my device (not my Dell Axim x51v) and the download followed. This Forum is wonderful at coming up with hints and tips and has helped me many times..
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - well, based on the information here, I have purchased (yes, legally) the new WE map for use with my TT5 app (also legal!).

Here's hoping it all works OK.

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Activation code not recognised Reply with quote

And guess what - it does not recognise the activation code.

I have tried it with and without the spaces.

Can anyone help?

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was entering the wrong product code. That's what you get for not reading instructions.....

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: