Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dead TomTom GO???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead TomTom GO???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzar wrote:
Took it out to the car, and hooked the power up to the ciggie lighter. Started up the car and tried to turn on the TT to begin my trip but it would not power on. Only got the green light.
To re-iterate AndyP, you must check the output of the car charger for 5 volts before even considering buying a new battery. If the O/P of the car charger is 12v (not 5v) then it will have fried the charging circuits in the TT, and a new battery will not fix it so you will have wasted any money spent on a new one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzar wrote:
I figure if it is more than $30 it probably isn't worth it.

Dollars? Are you in the US or the UK?

If you're in England, www.satnavrepairservice.com got a good review only a few days ago here.
They will certainly give you a free quote to fit a new battery.

Or if you fancy doing it yourself, batteries are available on eBay for about £12-13.
I don't have one any more, but you will probably need small "Tox" screwdrivers to get the case open.

Mike Alder (of this parish) has written walk-through instructions to change the battery in most TomTom models. I'm not sure if he's managed to do one for the classic yet though as he was working backwards through the range.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

I am in the US. I was figuring $30 is all it's worth spending on this old unit.

I do have Torx screwdrivers. Not sure how to get the unit apart though, don't see anything to unscrew. I'll research that more. Looking on ebay now I see a couple different battery types that might be for this (or not). I'll see if I can get this apart first & verify exactly what the battery is.

Thanks again.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
elzar wrote:
Took it out to the car, and hooked the power up to the ciggie lighter. Started up the car and tried to turn on the TT to begin my trip but it would not power on. Only got the green light.
To re-iterate AndyP, you must check the output of the car charger for 5 volts before even considering buying a new battery. If the O/P of the car charger is 12v (not 5v) then it will have fried the charging circuits in the TT, and a new battery will not fix it so you will have wasted any money spent on a new one.

Thanks. I don't see how the charger could start putting out 12v now instead of 5v but I'll check....lesse....

OK....It shows about 5v (checking it here inside the house hooked up to regular outlet with ac/dc 12v converter). I'll have to check it outside in the car as well but don't see how/why it would be any different.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4got to say - if/when I get it apart I will test the battery. If it is dead then I'll venture replacing it but if it shows a charge then I'll assume the unit is just fried somehow beyond redemption.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elzar wrote:
I don't see how the charger could start putting out 12v now instead of 5v but I'll check....lesse.....

Don't you trust me? Laughing
They CAN very easily start putting out 12V because there is a "sense" wire in the cable that monitors the voltage at the far end of the lead on the actual plug.
If that breaks (which they tended to do on the chargers supplied with the Classic Go) then the power supply thinks the voltage has gone a bit low, and starts to increase it to compensate.
But it's not very clever and keeps increasing it all the way to 12Volts! (More details and pictures HERE

elzar wrote:
OK....It shows about 5v (checking it here inside the house hooked up to regular outlet with ac/dc 12v converter). I'll have to check it outside in the car as well but don't see how/why it would be any different.

That sounds fine then. No need to check it outside.

Now... you're in luck...
I managed to find some instructions and pictures of a Go700 being dismantled and the battery changed. As far as I know the Classic is almost identical.

Battery change on GO700
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery change on the Classic will be very similar to the 700 but remember the Classic used an SD card whereas the 700 employed a 2,5GB Hard drive so there will be a few differences as to what you find inside the device - Mike
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
elzar wrote:
I don't see how the charger could start putting out 12v now instead of 5v but I'll check....lesse.....

Don't you trust me? Laughing
They CAN very easily start putting out 12V because there is a "sense" wire in the cable that monitors the voltage at the far end of the lead on the actual plug.
If that breaks (which they tended to do on the chargers supplied with the Classic Go) then the power supply thinks the voltage has gone a bit low, and starts to increase it to compensate.
But it's not very clever and keeps increasing it all the way to 12Volts! (More details and pictures HERE

elzar wrote:

That sounds fine then. No need to check it outside.

Now... you're in luck...
I managed to find some instructions and pictures of a Go700 being dismantled and the battery changed. As far as I know the Classic is almost identical.

Battery change on GO700

Thanks muchly.

I will look that link over in detail.

I found this one that is very detailed on how to replace the battery in a "300" model. I printed the whole thing out - about 24 pages! Rather intimidating but I have nothing to lose trying I guess since the unit is totally dead now.

http://leisure.prior-it.co.uk/how-to-replace-tomtom-go-300-battery.shtml

And thanks for the explanation about the power supply. I did check it in the car the other day & it also shows about 5 volts (something like 5.15).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: