Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Corrections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Corrections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cant block a part of a road, its one way or the other way or the whole length of road.

Also, had 2 mapshare updates to my v710 map in an hour this morning, so its working for me fine!

iPhone 12
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Just in passing, I wonder how it was possible to block it in this manner - normally you (un)block a complete road, we've all said there's no way we can submit a cut off bit haven't we?

Falkirk is partly correct. Some roads are broken up into much smaller sections and if this is the case you can block/unblock one of the short sections. In other cases, the whole road is highlighted red when you access the correction mode - in this case it's all or nothing.

When I was trying to introduce a "recent" (15 month old!) one way system into the middle of Swansea, some of the road sections were only a few yards long

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and it isn't necessarily the same as how much gets highlighted if you tap on a road in map view either.
That section of Gunnersbury Ave. is ALL highlighted if I tap it in map view, but if I go to the correction page as if I was going to block another section, it seems split into quite small chunks.

It is SUCH a main route, I'm sure I would have noticed my route to work being affected if it really wass blocked. All will be revealed tonight, and then I feel another stiff e-mail to TomTom coming on!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm home... and waddya think?

Surprise, surprise, TomTom have messed up again. That stretch of Gunnersbury Avenue is completely clear. HOW can they have logged this as "verified by them"?

Now, interestingly enough, Elm Avenue, which is at the southern end of the section in question, IS blocked; by a set of steel bollards where it joins Gunnersbury Avenue. But TT doesn't know about that either, you can plan a route straight down it.

Can I suggest we ALL:
1. unblock Gunnersbury ave and
2. either do a "cannot turn left into" and a "cannot turn right into" Elm Avenue from the main road, or do it as a "Report other error" (because it ISN'T blocked along its length, you just can't get in or out at that end).

GerryC, do you want to tell TomTom, or shall I? (or both! Twisted Evil )

Edit: Hooray! just made my corrections and found "my own" corrections outweigh TomTom's ones, so routing is now back to normal.

Incidentally, I've done 5 (!) mapshare corrections: apart from unblocking the main road, I've done "cannot turn left into Elm Avenue", "cannot turn right into Elm Avenue", "cannot turn left out of Elm Avenue", and "cannot turn right out of Elm Avenue". I wish they had a "block the end of this road" option, that's the correction I most often see needs doing in London.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of us here (that's GO720 #6 and GO720 #7) have unblocked Gunnersbury Avenue, because your correction didn't reach us. We have also resubmitted the corrections one of us submitted via GO720 #3 or #4 (we can't remember), because they too have not reached us. We DO have both our devices set to accept corrections from TomTom, DickDick, HarryHarry and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. We respectfully suggest we've done our bit here without having to duplicate the matters of left and right turn into and out of Elm Avenue - we're tired. Of course, neither of us (being merely 3 days and 3 hours old respectively) have yet obtained our free Latest Map Guarantees. We've decided we shall be able to verify each other's map corrections, but shall NOT stoop so low as to register separately and verify each other's pgpsw speed camera submissions (it's hard enough keeping track of all the GO720 email addresses and passwords already - our bluetack on our secret list of them stuck to the wall is getting dangerously close to stripping the wallpaper with all the upping and downing for additions and alterations).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive unblocked that "blocked" road as mentioned above. also done the "no left and right turn onto" correction.

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see how long it takes before TomTom "verify" it as open again.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I've also done the unblock and no left/right turns and just got an update. According to TomTom confirmed changes, it's now UNBLOCKED. Very Happy though the turns are still allowed. Sad

It does make you wonder what the difference is therefore between TomTom actually confirming a change themselves and enough people making the change on their own units (reasonable if I was using "trusted sources", "many" or "some" options).

AndyP_2002 wrote:
I wish they had a "block the end of this road" option, that's the correction I most often see needs doing in London.

Nearest I can think of is "Street is in the wrong place" then say why in the free text as one end is in the wrong place - should not get as far as Gunnersbury Ave.
Brodit ProClip mount
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few blocks, but haven't experiemented enough to fully understand what it can and can't do so I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge with us
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone noticed the "chyll edge/ghyll edge" change yet? its at N55.17049, W1.71168.

EDIT: scrap that question, on my tomtom with the setting "verified by tomtom" only selected for mapshare changes to be used, it has now been corrected!!! so i guess we managed to get enough of us to do it that it made a difference! Laughing

iPhone 12
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Anyone noticed the "chyll edge/ghyll edge" change yet? its at N55.17049, W1.71168.

EDIT: scrap that question, on my tomtom with the setting "verified by tomtom" only selected for mapshare changes to be used, it has now been corrected!!! so i guess we managed to get enough of us to do it that it made a difference!

With 'verified by TomTom' only selected, if I 'Navigate to' using the 'Address' option and enter 'Morpeth' as the city, when I enter 'Gh' as the street I get offered 'Ghyll Edge (Chyll Edge)' - three times!

Maybe we managed to get too many of us to do it. Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if i search for it using the city, then street name, it comes up twice and has the old "chyll edge" next to it in brackets. maybe thats to indicate that i was known as a previous name? Also, you can still search for "chyll edge" as the street name and it doesnt mention that its been edited to anything else :S

iPhone 12
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Ive unblocked that "blocked" road as mentioned above. also done the "no left and right turn onto" correction.

How can you do a "no left/right turn"? I can't find that on my list of acceptable corrections

Robin
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
falkirk81 wrote:

How can you do a "no left/right turn"? I can't find that on my list of acceptable corrections

Robin

Its a feature that only sends the info you suggest to tomtom, but itsnt impemented immediately on your tomtom, like how a blocked road would be blocked on your map straight away.

To signal a "no left or right turn" you would do it like this:

1. go to map corrections
2. correct a map error
3. report other error
4. existing street
5. then select the street in question however you choose and select done
6. then the "type of error" selection begins.

From here you can choose from several options which i`ll not post here. But its from here you can select "cannot turn left onto..."
Then you select which road you cannot turn left onto from the original road you chose in point 5 above.

Hope thats clear, done it v quickly! :p

iPhone 12
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:

To signal a "no left or right turn" you would do it like this:

1. go to map corrections
2. correct a map error
3. report other error
4. existing street
5. then select the street in question however you choose and select done
6. then the "type of error" selection begins.

From here you can choose from several options which i`ll not post here. But its from here you can select "cannot turn left onto..."

Ah thanks - I had not burrowed deeply enough into that sub-menu

Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: