Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 168 digiwalker / TOMTOM s/w not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 168 digiwalker / TOMTOM s/w not working
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a rush to miss the traffic this morning, hence the missing letter.

Yes - it is the by-pass around Brough that is missing. Good to see it is in TTN5.

Do I have to buy the full package - or is it possible to just upgrade the maps??

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Cheers.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do I have to buy the full package - or is it possible to just upgrade the maps??
It was possible to upgrade from 3 to 5 but it seems to have vanished from the TT site.

So it looks like you may now have only two choices. (Unless others come up with another way forward).

Google to see if anyone still has TTN5 in stock. If you can find some you will need either TT Software and maps of GB (which include major roads of europe) or TT Software and maps of Western Europe (including GB). These maps work fine on a Mio 168.

Or purchase the TTN6 Software and maps.

However, as there appears to be conflicting reports as to whether the 168 will cope because of it's processor being slower than that recommended.

There are of course a number of other companies mapping you could choose. e.g. Destinator, iGo etc. You'd just have to check the compatibilty.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some info from a mio168 user running ttn6, I find this runs no worse or better than ttn5, to sum it up I would describe as adequate,
still experimenting but found the following:
1) after updating to ttn6 v 6.02 first impression little bit faster than orig ttn6.
2) Had a lot of POIs enabled, so removed some but not yet road tested.
3) First longish run on orig ttn6, leics to chesham, worried that lag might not catch up with next turn sometimes, but did cope adequately.
4) On one occasion did put in middle of noware.
5) running at present on 2gb standard sd card(quite full with other progs and mp3s etc), waiting for 2gb x 133 card hoping to improve speed and will advise when proper road test done.
6) overall have same or less problems as on ttn5, on ttn5 just regularly lost position but not on ttn6, most of my problems seem to be bad routing by tomtom, I found the best best map for gb on ttn5 was V632

Hope this helps
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, Have also upgraded to OS WM2003se to gain the occasional use of rotate in ttn6, although must admit the major benefit has been using MS excell and being able to configure one if the buttons to instantly give rotate to all progs, as you can see i am progressively experimenting to get the best out of the Mio168, incedently i did think of updating to the p350, does it perform any better or worth upgrading to ?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) Had a lot of POIs enabled, so removed some but not yet road tested.

My previous unit was a Mio168, as was my sons. Having had the 168's for a while, we both decided to go for a Mio P350.

With POI's enabled there was a definite lag with the 168 but is less so on the P350.

The P350 has a faster TTFF than the 168 inside the car, which has an athermic windscreen. Even so, I find it much quicker to get a fix outside the car. The 168 used to lock on to maybe 5 or 6 sats out of 12 in view but the P350 always shows 7, 8 and quite often more.

The holder is much better and the P350 clips in nice and secure and can be rotated if you prefer landscape view. When I first used it I wasn't too sure whether the ball & socket would be man enough for the job but so far so good.

The aerial is now built in, although I never found it a problem flipping up the 168's aerial.

The mains and car adapter is now mini usb and there is no fiddling with the two clips when connecting/disconnecting, so hopefully there will be no problems with broken connectors inside the unit, a known problem on the 168.

Quote:
incedently i did think of updating to the p350, does it perform any better or worth upgrading to ?

Yes, it does perform better as it has a 400MHz processor and SiRF 3 chipset.

However, if you find TTN6 works OK on your 168, I would say it's probably best to stick with it for the time being. Only change if you find it struggles with TTN6 or the connector fails.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lost_property for factual reply , this does fit in very well with my findings and my thoughts, will see how mio performs after card update, your comments are much appreciated.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after card update
I overlooked this part of your post. You will see a difference when you have the 133x card, approximately 16x read/write. When I had the Mio 168 this, and having POI's switched off, showed virtually no lag at all and the 'final' voice warnings, before a turn, came maybe 20-30 yards before the turn rather than at it.

One other thing to consider, are there any new models in the pipeline? I nearly went for the Mio A201 but as there was compatibility problems, when it first came out, I hung on and then found they produced the Mio P350. You may just end up a winner if you hang on for the first few months of next year to see if any new models appear. If there are you will have a choice of that or maybe going for a reduced price P350 when stores try to 'off-load' them. :D
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, point taken but I need PDA as gps is only part of usage, rely heavily on contacts database, may put on ebay with reserve to see if can gain enough to swap for 350, but then again no particular hurry,.
Thanks
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up, I think that it is fair to say that the MIO168 is more than adequate for running TomTom 6.

Accepted that it is a getting a little old now, and there are much better options out there. But as for using TomTom 6 as a reason to upgrade any existing hardware - no way. The only valid reasons I can think for upgrading is if you need a SIRF III (rather than the 168's SIRF II) because of your car's windscreen, (or you are having problems in heavily built up areas); or you need to take advantage of the Traffic features.
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: More thanks Reply with quote

You guys have been great :D

I tried out a friends TTN6 and it looks FINE. Tried it in tandem with my wife's NAV-CAM. Both pretty well synchronised.

Question on speed - both sat navs gave my speed as 5mph LESS than my speedo was showing. Which is more accurate? (if it was just one sat nav I would go with speedo - but both??)

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
both sat navs gave my speed as 5mph LESS than my speedo was showing. Which is more accurate?
If you are driving along a straight level road, the Sat Nav will be more accurate, something like 0.1%. Speedo's can over read by up to 10% but must not under read.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must also appreciate that a car speedo (unless faulty) will always give the same reading at any specific speed. For example if you are travelling at 60mph the speedo will always show (for example) 64mph, with corresponding values for all other speeds. (Tyre wear has a very small effect on this - but I have ignored it to avoid confusion for this example)

The value returned by a satnav can (and does) vary. This can depend on various factors, but the number of satellites fixed upon, AND their positions in the sky is particularly significant.

As an example, when stationary, my displayed speed has been anything between 0mph (correct) and 7mph.

As for the display of speed, the application (ie TomTom) only displays the value passed by the GPS chipset, so don't blame your application for any errors.
Achilles2K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

OK - I will put it to the test.

The next time I go past a speed camera I will ignore the speedo and use the sat nav speed Twisted Evil

Well, maybe not 8O Laughing Out Loud

Thanks anyways guys.

BTW I am off to London tomorrow with my son to go see Spamalot - I will be taking my Mio DigiWalker with me so that when I get lost at least I will know where i am Embarassed

Cheers :D
whiteghostuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone new here ??

I'm using my mio 168 with TT6 and YODA its great ! :D

tried the queen but she kept telling me where to go Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: