Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not SDIO compliant? I guess the reviewers have not actually tried the slot.

I have been using mine with a Sandisk SDIO WLAN card and it works flawlessly! Its great browsing the internet anywhere in the house and I've got it working with ActiveSync as well - had to mess with the registry as I don't have a Wireless Access Point. I'm doing it peer-peer.

So we know its compatible with

Sandisk SDIO WLAN
Socket SDIO WLAN

I can't see it not working with a Bluetooth card?

Unfortunately only having one slot means you give up 256MB, but I believe a newer vesion of te Sandisk card is coming out with a built in 256MB as well as WLAN.

Not a big deal - I've got round this by mapping a network drive to my PC and using that for extra storage when in the house, and also creating a small 2MB map of my city and storing that on the internal memory of the Medion.

Works perfectly - I can now navigate as well as go WLAN 'War Driving' Laughing Wink Thumbs Up

Drew
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, Medion make no mention of it at all in their spec charts.
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Lets face it - the Medion bundle is not aimed at technogeeks. Its not even aimed at people with access to a PC (hence the 2 x 256MB SD cards ready loaded with maps and Navigon, sorry, Medion Navigator software)

Its a plug and play job with one purpose in life - in car voice guided Sat Nav.

I guess those features are all they will undertake to support on their hotline.

But the fact is its a top end PDA with SDIO/MMC, 400MHz XSCALE, 64MB, etc and will do anything a top end IPAQ can do!

And its very slim, very bright display, and weighs all! Thumbs Up

Andy
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested in an SDIO WiFi card. They tend to be very expensive in the UK (between £100-£130)

I recommend a USA seller on ebay who ships them to the UK for around £65.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=307103297

Delivery is very quick and insured - I got mine in 3 days. Thumbs Up

Drew
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that ebay link is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071032976&category=44996.

Otherwise just search for 'SDIO WiFi'
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with ordering Wi-Fi bits from the US is that not every design is a worldwide one.

There are two more channels in ETSI regulated areas (including the UK) than in FCC regulated areas (the US), also I think at least technically using a card that lacks the appropriate type-approval markings for the EU in the UK is illegal (akin to using an unlicensed radio transmitter).

Obviously, I don't know the precise details of the Sandisk card. It could very easily be a worldwide design and carry the appropriate CE marking with the necessary suffixes to show that it is approved. The Sandisk site is a little vague on this.

However, this is something to be aware of - as well as the possibility that UK Customs will leave you with a bill of somewhere around 25% of the value of the item (for VAT, duty and the charge imposed by the Royal Mail for collecting the VAT and duty from you).

Davod
cloudzilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Drew - I have to admit that I doubted you. But as I was in New York last week I ordered one of these SDIO Wifi cards from ebay and had it shipped to my hotel.... and it works great in my Medion 40600 from Aldi. Wifi range isn't too great but I'm really pleased - especially after Medion support told me it definitely wouldn't work!

Cheers! Pete
thaboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello....

sorry I bring this "older" topic back to top, but I realy need to know if this PDA supports SDIO? I know you mentioned it but are you realy talking about this PDA?

http://www.aldi.be/ALDI_BN/OFFER_BN/OFFER_05/OFF02.HTM

greetzzz
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thats the one Smile

Slightly different packaging than the UK version but the PDA and rest of the kit looks exactly the same. Thumbs Up

Drew
thaboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew wrote:
Yep, thats the one Smile

Slightly different packaging than the UK version but the PDA and rest of the kit looks exactly the same. Thumbs Up

Drew

thanks for the "ASAP" reply Drew :D ...so Wendsday I gonna be a PDA NeWbIeeeee.....

i'm lookin' forward to it.... Laughing

greeeetttzzzzzz
magro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: learned much and can teach you... Reply with quote

Quote:
drew wrote "Yep, thats the one Smile"

I'am from Holland and have read a lot of information from this forum.
Thx!
From December I'm using the Medion PDA SD40600 which I also bought from Aldi. Last week I ordered from a shop on eBay the Sandisk SD WiFicard discussed here.
Based on the information I got from this forum I did not hestitate to order one. Within 3 days this was delivered at my home for only $59 and.....working as expected!
The Medion PDA certainly has a SDIO-slot to be able to work with this WiFicard.
At home I'm using a wireless ADSL-router (webr@cer1004 from Topcom) to which is connected my PC, my laptop and now my PDA too.
All wireless! Even my neighbour has installed a USB LAN stick on his PC to be able to work on my router on the ADSL-connection.

I have read that in the UK the Medion PDA's are supplied with a set
of two 256Mb SDcards. Like we have had here in Holland.
One of those cards contains the map of the UK while here in Holland we are supplied with the map of the Benelux (Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg),
And of Germany and the main-routes in Europe.
Is someone interested to swap copies of these maps?
Without any sale?
This summer I'll spend my holidays in the UK, that's why..

Grtx from the continent
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magro, glad to hear you are happy with your Medion.

One small point, we don't like forum members requesting pirated software so I would apprecaite it if you did not ask for 'copies' of maps here. Let's keep it all above board and let the manufacturers make some profit or Medion may decide not to bother next time Sad
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I agree swapping copies of commercial software shouldn't be discussed on the public forums.

However, if you read this thread http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5271 you can probably understand why Medion customers may have no other option! Sad

Drew
magro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew wrote:
Darren,

I agree swapping copies of commercial software shouldn't be discussed on the public forums.

However, if you read this thread http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5271 you can probably understand why Medion customers may have no other option! Sad

Drew

Smile
Thx., drew, for pointing me to that thread #5271 where I could exactly find what I was looking for. And, Darren, what about the last reply on that topic? As you'll see, obtaining other maps of Europe is not as easy as it seems. Although the pricing of maps is high; even if you could affort paying these amounts they just don't deliver! What else can you do?
Just swap? From person to person? Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I appreciate that it may not be easy to obtain maps for the Medion bundle but it does not change the fact that 'sharing' copies of commercial software including map data is piracy. I don't intend entering into a debate on that topic, we reserve the right to delete any posts that offer or request pirated software and will ban any forum member who continues to flout this rule. Let's leave it at that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: