Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Otterbox 1900 PDA protective case reviewed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Otterbox 1900 PDA protective case reviewed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Otterbox 1900 PDA protective case reviewed. Reply with quote

Otterbox reviewSometime ago I reviewed the Otterbox Heavy Armor and also the Otterbox 3600. Now thanks to Memory-Map who have provided me with a review sample of the new Otterbox 1900 I have finally found the (almost) perfect case.

With the Otterbox Armor I performed the review in the cold conditions of a long weekend in the winter conditions of the UK Lake district this time I needed to check out how these cases perform in other conditions...

Off to the deserts of Western USA to see how the case performs there.

Click here to read the full review...
Pedro-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review!

Otterbox sells screen replacement kits for the HP iPaq hx4700, saying that "This solves the problem of the iPAQ 4700 screen being difficult to press in the corners".

Indeed, such a problem was noted by another reviewer (can't find it any more for the life of me). Did you experience such a difficulty, or did you by any chance get to try the screen membrance specifically made for the hx4700?

I've ordered the Otterbox 1900 with the hx4700 screen replacement kit, but I can still cancel the kit, if it's really not needed. Could you fiddle around with your 1900 with the hx4700 in it some more, and report if you feel it's difficult to press in the corners?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro-G wrote:
Thanks for the review!

Otterbox sells screen replacement kits for the HP iPaq hx4700, saying that "This solves the problem of the iPAQ 4700 screen being difficult to press in the corners".

Indeed, such a problem was noted by another reviewer (can't find it any more for the life of me). Did you experience such a difficulty, or did you by any chance get to try the screen membrance specifically made for the hx4700?

I've ordered the Otterbox 1900 with the hx4700 screen replacement kit, but I can still cancel the kit, if it's really not needed. Could you fiddle around with your 1900 with the hx4700 in it some more, and report if you feel it's difficult to press in the corners?

I wasnt aware of any issues with the 4700. It worked fine for me all the time. I used the start and close buttons with no problems. The Otterbox I reviewed was a standard one.
Cujo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a superb piece of kit. I needed something to protect my ipaq hx2110 when in use on a motorcycle. There is a dedicated cradle available for use with ram mounts to fit my bike.

I fired off a question to Rugged Peak.com regarding size and fit of my ipaq with Hiacom's 303E Foldable CF GPS receiver and was advised to buy the large pod to accompany it.

It turned out to be a tight squeeze but, perfect for what I required of it - to run tt3 in a weatherproof and shockproof environment whilst allowing a permanent power supply and soft rest access from the bottom.

The buttons on the ipaq are however covered up by the case (not that I have any use for them) and the screen does make it difficult to press in the corners. Using the non-pointy bit of the stylus works okay though.

Two added benefits I found where i) being able to clip the stylus to the case ii) I get a better GPS reception whilst the receiver is inside the pod.

Well worth the £95 I spent on it.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 4700 I found that the PDA can be fitted so that all the screen can be seen and accessed, plus all the buttons as well.

A seperate review of the Bike Mount will be coming in the next week or so. Did you find a problem with the Bike Mount rattling? I did but had a very simple solution for it. A small wedge used for laying laminated floorboards. I tucked it between the mount and the Otterbox and no more rattles on the bike!! 8)
Cujo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is movement though I couldn't class it as a rattle. Its more the whole ram mount flexing at higher speeds. But its all solid enough and even better, easy to remove for security purposes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: