Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Temporary fix for TTN5 / VGA devices freezing and leaking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Temporary fix for TTN5 / VGA devices freezing and leaking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Temporary fix for TTN5 / VGA devices freezing and leaking Reply with quote

If you are bothered by VGA devices' exit freeze or memory leak, here's a temporary fix that will make your them go away:

Use Resource Hacker ( http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/ ) to turn off VGA mode for tomtom. I have not tried it myself but it has been discussed and tested on a german forum pocketnavigation.de HERE (babelfish translated)

And yes tomtom won't appear as nice as it was (with a lowered resolution just like what you'd see on TTN3 with a VGA device).
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone asks, no I don't know how to use Reshack to turn off vga mode. Maybe someone else can help out.

Also the link to the pocketnavigation.de probably doesn't work. Try this instead:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pocketnavigation.de%2fboard%2ftid69426-sid9d6c387391a9659e364ee4076e05dd63.htm

Click the link where it says "Problems with VGA PDAs"

Good luck.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I've just tried this and it worked for my HX4700.

Copy the tomtom executable across from the ipaq's program files directory, make a backup of it incase you want to go back, load the tomtom.exe up using resource hacker, and delete the key named 2057 in CUEX -> HI_RES_AWARE

Save it then copy the file back across to the directory on the ipaq where you got it from.

Only affects the tomtom screen, doesnt look quite as nice, but it works - and it scrolls really fast and smoothly too.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom screen now looks the same as using a normal non vga device like my old ipaq 2210, and no exit freezes. :D
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The german thread points to this link for the instructions.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29090

You can see how to do it, by looking at the step by step screenshots.
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news - I was about to give up on TTN5 and revert to TTN3 until Tom Tom fixed the problem, but I've just tried this and it works fine on my 4700 also.

I can live with the reduced resolution for a while. In fact the screens looks rather more 'balanced' than in VGA mode, and the fonts are bigger which helps. It makes me wonder if Tom Tom designed the screen layouts with QVGA in mind and didn't really consider how things would look on VGA screens...
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fix works great (if you can put up with the new resolution) until a proper patch from TomTom comes out (if ever).

May seem obvious to most of you but after you use this fix you can revert back and forth to VGA at any time by using a VGA brute force program such as Tweaks2k2.

Rabdo
Speedster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
It makes me wonder if Tom Tom designed the screen layouts with QVGA in mind and didn't really consider how things would look on VGA screens...

A quick look at the gps status screen tells you that little or no consideration was made of VGA screens.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabdo wrote:
This fix works great (if you can put up with the new resolution) until a proper patch from TomTom comes out (if ever).

May seem obvious to most of you but after you use this fix you can revert back and forth to VGA at any time by using a VGA brute force program such as Tweaks2k2.

Rabdo

Or keep a backup or the original and modded file like on the SD card like I have Wink
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info, i have done it on my Dell Axim X50v and can confirm that it works fine. One point to note is that reshack saved a copy of the original file when i saved the edited version too, so no need to do one yourself first. - Jono
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this works on my Dell Axim X50V too, and makes the difference between a product that I can at least use and one that's genuinely useless.
picard2bridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but it's still not clear to me how to do this. I have downloaded Reshack, copied the TT exe across to my hard disk and opened it. I do not see an CEUX folder, just the following:

ICON
STRING TABLE
ICON GROUP
VERSION INFO

Can you help?
Thanks,
Clive.
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are using the TomTom Navigator 5 exe file? Do you have a VGA pda?

CUEX entry should be there. Not using a pirated version, are you?

Sorry can't help anymore, your exe seems different to everyone elses

rabdo
AnnoyedWithTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done this as well, but havent tested it yet ... I didnt see this thread and it did not show up when I searched for reshacker (as the program is referred to in the bugs in V5 sticky).... it will now :D
griffgruff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Problem solved! Reply with quote

Thanks for the postings. My HX4700 kept freezing when using TT5 and the Resourse Hacker fix seems to have solved the problem. Lower res no problem.

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: