Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom GO SpeedcamerasAs we reported recently, the new version of TomTom GO software is now available from www.TomTom.com. This update contains a few functional enhancements and some bug fixes.

The most important (as far as we at PocketGPSWorld.com are concerned) is the implementation of customisable POIs. We have been fortunate to be part of the test team for this software and have created an article describing the use of these customisable POIs. Click here for the full article.

Other functionality changed is: Language and voices support; Use a manual waypoint as a travel via; Better ASN; More brightness; and better time keeping.

You can download this free TomTom GO update from www.tomtom.com

Thanks to SiFi for the following:

Points Of Interest (POI) management:

Create your own POI category
Add locations to your own category
by using a point on the map
by specifying a location
Plug-in a POI category from other TomTom users (including from TomTom PocketPC/Palm users)
Add locations to the plugged-in category
Edit your POI category, or your plugged-in category
Modify the locations in your category
Delete locations in your category
Delete your POI category, or your plugged-in category
Delete a plugged-in category
Use your POI, or plugged-in, category in the application as build-in POI category
Enable/disable display to map browser or moving map
Search by proximity to a location and/or by name
Turn into destination, departure, via, home, favourite, other POI
Option to get a warning when you are close to a POI. The warning will be given based on the specified POI category, distance and sound.

Language and voices support:
Option to select your application in Portuguese, Norwegian or Finnish
Option to load your own (or from others) voice files for personalized navigation instructions
Other:
Brief display of a volume slider added when touching the repeat instruction area (left on the status bar) for hearing the instruction of the next maneuver
New option to use a manually specified point on the map as a via (i.e. waypoint for the calculated route)
More accurate ASN (Assisted Satellite Navigation)
Maximum brightness level of the display increased
Fix for the clock to stay more precise
Several quality changes and improvements
MK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 4.40 Update success! Reply with quote

Works a treat, I downloaded the update and a few custom POI databases and did the following:

Plug in USB lead, turn on, then:
1) Backup preferences (always a good plan)
2) Deleted some unused languages to free up space
3) Run ttgoupg440.exe downloaded from TomTom, follow the wizard.. sorted!
4) Copied the ov2 files into the MAP subfolder
5) Turn off, remove USB, turn on and wait for boot up

That was it - then tweaked the settings to turn on proximity warning etc, and went out for a half-hour joy-ride!! Found 4 "Safety Cameras" that I knew existed - so the PGW DB looks good so far...

Another cool thing about TTG (Sat Nav in general actually), which I only realised tonight, is that it is extrememly useful when driving down unlit country lanes at night, as you get a pre-warning of how sharp approaching corners are, so you a) don't over-accelerate, then have to brake and b) know when you really should cane it Wink

Update request for TomTom: Please can we have a "TomTomRallyNav" plugin, which gives turn by turn cornering instructions - this would be the ultimate in cool! 8)

Hope everyone is having as much fun with TTG as I am!
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All went in fine for me too, have to say it looks like it may make my Origin B2 redundant!

Full test tomorrow...

Do hope the route algorithms and default speed for A roads have been tweaked.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,I've downloaded the update from TOMTOM,now how do I install Safety Camera info.Be gentle please(Techno phobic at play) Embarassed
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the instructions are in the article above. But in case of huge techno phobia....

Plug the tomtom into your computer and turn it on. Unzip (www.winzip.com) the contents of the camera database to a temporary folder on your c: drive (I used c:\ttg). Press the windows key and "E". Click on TTG on the left and highlight the files I've highlighted (on the right - hold the CTRL key to choose multiple files) and drag them to the tomtom folder shown on the left.

Go back to the article to see how to enable all the features.

themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: TomTom Go update from September gone from website Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
TomTom GO Speedcameras.....You can download this free TomTom GO update from www.tomtom.com

I guess you can close the thread again, since the update seem to be gone from the TomTom update page.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just downloaded it not 10 minutes ago
themax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Software exist, but not announced on Update page Reply with quote

clivers wrote:
ive just downloaded it not 10 minutes ago

Well, I found it too, but not on the provided link. You need to go into the support FAQ, and click on the "September 2004 - TomTom GO 4.40" link here.

So. Keep the thread open then, but maybe correct the link (and hope that TomTom announces the link on the Update page).

(This post has been edited to tidy up the long URL link.)
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pottsy I will give it a go!
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right all downloaded and installed(hopefully)ready for a road test this afternoon.Checking the local area on the Map browse facility reveals a minefield of speed camera locations.
I still think an ability to identify the actual speed restriction in a particular area would be a great help,or does this also exists?
My computer search is limited by my new vary focal specs ideal for driving,no bloody use at all for reading a computer screen Rolling Eyes
Bajie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Out of interest, will this fit on the standard 128M card.
Or should I hit PC World to get a larger card before trying to load the update and Safety Camera software.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lampman wrote:
Right all downloaded and installed(hopefully)ready for a road test this afternoon.Checking the local area on the Map browse facility reveals a minefield of speed camera locations.
I still think an ability to identify the actual speed restriction in a particular area would be a great help,or does this also exists?
My computer search is limited by my new vary focal specs ideal for driving,no bloody use at all for reading a computer screen Rolling Eyes

You could set up separate databases for all the speeds and but each camera into its corresponding place. You could then assign a different .wav file for each database. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

(But no, I'm not volunteering :D )
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: who updates the list? Reply with quote

Hi,
I downloaded the TTG software and as well as speed cam POI updates also installed kfc, tesco etc....I love it .

This site has been a great help to me ( many thanks to all), 2 weeks ago I thought satnav was a pop group, and maybee now I can give a little back .
I have noticed that a few safety cams in Leeds are not on the update, I know that its possible for me to add them to my POI ( by parking next to them and adding I assume) but is it possible for me to share my database with others? Once I have all the cams in my area added could I just email the OV2 file in to this website? Or am I totally wrong and someone else is already doing this ( wouldn`t want to tread on anyones toes)
Just let me know.
Regards
Mark
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send your submissions to

cameras (at) pocketgpsworld.com

(Change the (at) for a @!
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajie,

No need, the database is miles smaller than one voice file. Just delete a few voice files and you are away!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: